Bury Me In...

What would you want to wear to your own funeral?
 
For me, it's a moot point. I've signed up for whole body donation so that all my parts get recycled into more than just worm food. Yet, it's fun to ponder.

The subject came up in a book I was reading the other day. In the novel, friends come to a viewing of a body and notice the woman dressed completely differently than how she dressed in life. Thus she looked "uncomfortable" in her own coffin. 

This got me thinking about the clothes we wear. I've been blessed in that I've never had to wear a suit to work. Most of the time I could wear comfortable, practical clothes every day. As a nurse, I get to wear scrubs, which are so comfortable and practical that just about everyone who works in the hospital wants to wear them.  I've never had to "suit up" as it were, other than for a job interview or a wedding. I own one tie, one dress shirt, one pair of dress slacks. They get worn about once a year. 

Moreover, I could easily wear the exact same thing every day. There are some pretty smart guys who I admire who actually do this ... the thought being that life is too short to waste time thinking about what to wear. Dean Kamen has his denim shirt and jeans, Steve Jobs has his black turtleneck and jeans, Albert Einstein had his gray sweatshirt.

So it is a interesting question. What's your uniform? What would you wear if you could wear anything you wanted, every day? 

For me, it would be wearing what I wore today -- cotton pocket t-shirt, Levi's denim shirt (red, but a I have several) Docker's khakis and a pair of Chuck Taylor All stars.  When it gets cold, I'd add a sweater. When it gets warm, I add a pair of cargo shorts and Chuck's would be low tops. That's it. I could live like that. 

Sure I look like a generic Levi's ad from the 1980s or 90s, but hey, that's me. I used to make fun of people who locked in on the style of dress or haircut. As if they tried to stop time at the age when they were at their peak in life. I grew up around old guys trying to work a 1950s DA long after their had the hair -- or the youth -- to do it. 

I don't wear the same thing every day. Nor to I follow fashion. There have been times I've been tempted to purge my wardrobe of anything that doesn't fit the pattern. After all, I know what works and what's comfortable. Why wear anything else? Why spend time worrying -- even for a second -- about what to wear?

So here's the question: If you could fill your closet with seven copies of the same set of clothes, what would you pick? What would you be comfortable enough to wear in your coffin?

No comments:

Post a Comment