Small Town Girls


Last night the girls and I looked up the top songs from the year and week they were born -- I didn't recognize any of the songs or artists.
Meanwhile, 30 years ago today, this song was released. It is still part of the soundtrack to my life. 

By the time we got around to having kids, I'd met and married another small town girl. In fact, one of our first conversations was comparing who went to the smaller high school. I graduated in a class of 18 kids, she had a few more, but not many. 

We had bought an old farm house in the small town where she grew up. The party-pop and hip hop that was topping Billboard in 2001 didn't have any relation to the lives we were living when Lindsay was born. That's not the soundtrack to our lives. 

This still is.

No comments:

Post a Comment